St Albans South Signal Box was built in 1892 by the Midland Railway and was closed for signalling in 1979 as the line was being electrified. It was restored in 2007/8, and is the largest Midland Railway box in preservation, and one of the few signal boxes of any type preserved where it used to work, next to a busy main line. Upstairs the levers and signalling equipment show how the signalling system was worked in the last few years before closure. On the ground floor there is a museum of signalling and other railway items with some interactive exhibits, film of the box in use before closure and a slide-show of the restoration of the box. In the garden around the box are various signals which can be worked by visitors from 'ground frames', operating colour light signals and displays of old railway signs and advertisements.
What's On page:
Address: St. Albans South Signal Box
Ridgmont Road, St Albans
Hertfordshire AL1 3AJ
Telephone: 01727 836131